Hello Hiker was created by me Ray Kai.
I started HelloHiker.com because I love hiking and camping and wanted to make a helpful resource for other hikers.
I started hiking over a decade ago with my beat-up Nikes and basketball shorts having no clue what to do. I had zero guidance and hiked with my old Jansport school bag to try and tackle Yosemite’s Half Dome as my second hike ever. I managed to reach the top after scaling the infamous Half Dome cables and from there I was completely addicted.
Ever since that trip I’ve joined a wilderness basics course taught by local Sierra Club members with much more experience than me. From there I learned about the ten essentials, land navigation, car camping, backpacking, encounters with wild animals, and so much more.
Using my newly found skills I’ve been able to hike all over California, Nevada, Utah, and beyond.
I’ve been on the summit of Mount Whitney, San Gorgonio, Half Dome, Angel’s Landing, and more!
I’ve hiked or camped at the following National Parks:
- Yosemite National Park
- Zion National Park
- Joshua Tree National Park
- Yellowstone National Park
- Grand Teton National Park
- Bryce Canyon National Park
- Arches National Park
- Canyonlands National Park
- Capitol Reef national Park
- Grand Canyon National Park
- Death Valley National Park
- Olympic National Park
- Mount Rainier National Park
- Great Sand Dunes National Park
- Kings Canyon National Park
- Sequoia National Park
- Redwood National Park
- Hawaii Volcanoes National Park
I’ve made many mistakes, tried out thousands of dollars in hiking gear, and been hiking in many different environments. I hope this site helps you with your hiking journey!